Sidewalk and Curb Replacement Program

Sidewalk and Curb Replacement Program

Since 1965 the City has encouraged property owner participation in what has come to be known as the 50/50 Sidewalk Replacement Program. In 1991, the City Council adopted a policy to focus our resources on replacing 'worst condition' sidewalks by establishing objective standards to evaluate sidewalk condition. Property owners may request for sidewalk and/or curb abutting their property to be replaced. 

In order to be placed on the City’s replacement program or reimbursed for the cost of concrete material when the property owner contracts with a private contractor to have the work done, the sidewalk and/or curb must be in Poor or Very Poor condition. Sidewalks and/or curbs found in very poor or poor condition are then scheduled for replacement, subject to budgetary constraints.  In 2023, the City Council increased the City’s financial share of sidewalk and curb replacement projects to 70%.

  • Very poor condition sidewalks are those which have cracks greater than 1 1/8" wide and greater than 1 1/8" vertical separation between squares, or cracks within the same square. Excessive cracking, scaling, or pitting. Sections of broken sidewalk that can be lifted out, or are entirely missing. Very poor condition curb would have excessive spalling and exposed reinforcement per panel. 
  • Poor condition sidewalks are those which have cracks greater the 3/8" wide and greater than 3/8" vertical separation between squares, or cracks within the same square. Significant surface scaling or pitting present. Broken sections of sidewalks are loose and shift easily under the weight of walking. Some sections may be entirely missing. Poor condition curb would have multiple spalls per panel.
  • Property owners placed on the 70/30 program are responsible for 30% of the cost of construction at the time of replacement and the remaining 70% is paid by the City.
  • Property owners may request for sidewalk abutting their property to be replaced. Requests must meet the above condition requirements in order to be either placed on the City's 70/30 replacement program or reimbursed for the cost of concrete material when the property owner contracts with a private contractor to have the work done. The amount of material reimbursement is based on the City's annual concrete bid price per lineal foot and the City's final inspection measurements. Sidewalk replacement is typically reviewed and replaced per full square panel, typically four feet by five feet (4’x5’). Curb replacement is typically reviewed and replaced per full jointed segment, typically ten to fifteen feet (10-15’).
  • Sidewalk and Curb Inspection Request Form
Click Here to view the Program Participant Dashboard