Commercial & Idustrial

  • Adopted Building Code: 2012 International Building Code (IBC)
  • Adopted Mechanical Code: 2012 International Mechanical Code
  • Adopted Electrical Code: Current National Electrical Code (NEC)
  • Adopted Plumbing Code: Current Illinois Plumbing Code
  • Adopted National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Code: 101 Life Safety Code, 2006 Edition
    (Copies are available at City Hall for viewing)

What to Bring

  1. Site Plan, Four (4) sets of Construction Plans (one reduced set), Landscaping Plan, Stormwater Drainage Plan where applicable, and names, addresses, phone numbers of Contractor, Excavator (must have current bond with the City), Electrician (must be registered with the City), Plumber, and Concrete Contractor.
  2. Site Plan (a scaled drawing showing property boundaries, proposed buildings and improvements (including driveway location and width), and distances or setbacks from buildings to property lines). Be sure you are aware of any easements, including utilities, that may be on your property. JULIE may be contacted at 1-800-892-0123 if you are in need of assistance.
  3. Complete set of Construction Plans (a scaled drawing showing size & depth of footing/foundation; dimensioned floor plan; plan elevations, electrical plan; plumbing plan; IBC occupancy classification, construction type, and distance to existing buildings if under 30'. Building to meet Key Lock Box System ordinance; Building Code, Chapter 160.010. Plans must be sealed by a registered design professional.
  4. For commercial and industrial developments, all applications for building permits must comply in all respects to the stormwater control provisions of the Subdivision Code, including, but not by way of limitation, §152.002(C), §152.016, and §152.024, as amended from time to time.
  5. Completed Commerical Building Permit Application.

















(Commercial Office)


10' if



20' _ _ 80%


(Commercial Retail)


10' if



20' _ _ 100%


(Commercial Service)


10' if






_ _ 100%







- _ _ 200%

*** Where the rear yard adjoins another business property and where loading and unloading space is located elsewhere on the property, and where the building is not more than one story in height the rear yard may be reduced five feet.
**** When adjoining a residence district any side yard shall not be less than 25'.

What Fees to Expect

Building Permit Fees:

$20 filing fee plus $2 for every $1,000 in estimated R.S. Means construction value (R.S. Means construction value is calculated using the most recent edition of the R.S. Means Square Foot Costs manual). If construction commences without a valid building permit, the above fee shall be doubled. Fees are reduced by 50% in the City's Enterprise Zone. Only property owners or an authorized agent can sign the permit application. Construction value is in no way associated with the assessed value of the property.

Water and Sewer Fees:

Utility connection fees are charged per water meter and are determined by the size of water meter as follows:

Meter Size Water Connection Fee

5/8 inch

3/4 inch

1 inch

1-1/2 inch

2 inch

Larger Sizes                     






Prorated by continuous flow capacity of meter

Meter Size Sewer Connection Fee

5/8 inch

3/4 inch

1 inch

1 1/2 inch

2 inch

Larger Sizes                     






Prorated by continuous flow capacity of meter

$140 (5/8-inch) Water Meter Fee, and $500 Water Construction Fee ($400.00 of said fee shall be reimbursed on the following: that a passing meter inspection is made by city personnel prior to the installation of the lawn (sod or seed) and/or landscaping at the subject property. In the event that a passing meter inspection is not achieved prior to the installation of the lawn and landscaping, the $400 reimbursable fee shall be forfeited. A $50 charge will be deducted from the reimbursable fee and retained by the City for each and every water meter re-inspection needed). Water and Sewer connection fees reduced by 50% in the City's Enterprise Zone.

Reimbursable Inspection Fees: $100 water/sewer, $100 footing/foundation, $100 framing, and $100 final. All fees for which an inspection call has been made are reimbursed upon the final inspection of the project. If more than one re-inspection of the initial noted corrections is required, the inspection fee for that phase will be forfeited. If final inspection is not made prior to occupancy, the entire $400 will be forfeited.

What Inspections to Expect

The property owner must notify the City for one (1) water/sewer/sump inspection. No excavations may be filled nor any connections made without a City inspection.

It is the owner's responsibility to notify the City during normal business hours, at least one (1) business day (twenty-four hours) in advance of the following three (3) phases of construction:

  1. Prior to pouring concrete or setting block for the foundation and prior to backfill. Principal items to be inspected include the setbacks, footing and foundation widths and depths, reinforcing steel, and foundation drainage.
  2. Prior to covering over the framing and roughed-in electrical and plumbing. Principal items to be inspected include the frame, floor joists, firestopping, roof trusses, and roughed-in electrical wiring, circuits and grounding. Roughed-in plumbing will be viewed and if questioned the State Plumbing Inspector will be contacted. This inspection is done prior to exterior siding installation.
  3. Upon completion of the building or structure and before the issuance of the Certificate of Occupancy. Principal items to be inspected include a final check of the structure, interior and exterior walls, roof, operability of fixtures and equipment, and final electrical inspection of conductors, lighting and receptacles, circuits and water meter installation.

A license is required for electricians. In order to obtain a certificate of registration to install electrical equipment an electrician can submit a current license issued by any of the following communities: Peoria, IL, Bloomington, IL, Springfield, IL, Decatur, IL, Pekin, IL, Ottawa, IL, Joliet, IL, or any other Illinois testing community upon verification by the city building official. Upon receipt, the City will issue an electrical certificate of registration.

Inspections focus only upon the work which is the subject of the Building Permit.

Contact Us

City Hall
301 Walnut St
Washington, IL 61571
Get Directions

In this Department

More Information

Contact Us

301 Walnut St, Washington IL 61571
  • (309) 444-3196
  • (309) 444-9779
  • Staff Directory